Silicone Heater Blocks for MakerBot Rep 2x
You’ve received your new Silicone Heater Blocks for MakerBot and you’re wondering how to install it. Follow along with the video or directions below and you’ll be set up in no time.
As always, turn off and unplug your machine before doing any repair work.
Unplug and remove the motors from the assembly. A set screw should be revealed on the bar mount assembly.
- Remove the thermal barrier tube from the bar mount assembly. Loosen this set screw.
- Straighten the black wrapped end of the thermocouple, so as not to damage it while removing the assembly.
- Pull down on the heater block until the thermal barrier tube is free.
Attach the nozzle. Tighten first by hand, then with the socket.
- Make sure the nozzle and thermal barrier tube are tightened.
- Once the nozzle is tightened, try unscrewing the barrier tube by hand. If it comes loose, you’ll have to unscrew the nozzle a few turns, screw in the tube a few turns, and then screw back on the nozzle until it is tight. The two parts may not have been close enough together inside the heater block the first time you tightened them.
Screw on the thermocouple attachment by hand. Then tighten with pliers.
- Push the thermal barrier tube, and thus the heater block assembly, back into the bar mount. Grab your alignment jig.
- The alignment jig snaps onto the bar mount assembly. Align both extruder heads so they are aligned with the jig.
- If you find that the one you are not working on is far tighter to the jig than the other, remove that stepper motor and align properly.